Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.

What is the dosage for 70 lb Lab for minocycline, she has a

Customer Question

What is the dosage for 70 lb Lab for minocycline, she has a tiny bit of infection of her paw.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Minocycline wouldn't be my first choice for a skin infection. Can you tell me more about the "tiny bit" of infection in her paw?

Customer:

She is a dog that has major skin conditions and is on Prednisone 10mg every other day for many years, I've tried tapering her off but she ends up in worse shape so we maintain her on 10mg Pred every other day. Lab test are nornal. She gets these "hot spots" on her paws and elbows that sometimes blow up like a big bood blister. She has one now that was about the size of a golfball and it drained spontaneously, no pus, just blood, but I thought I should give her some antiobiotiv=cs just in case.

Dr. Scarlett :

Hmm, sounds like some type of allergy or atopy. Cephalexin is my skin antibiotic of choice. Was the minocycline prescribed originally for Molly? If so, then the dose on the bottle should be accurate.

Customer:

The reason I asked about minocycline is because I have an abundant amount left over from my son's acne meds and I didn't want to go to the Vet and pay for the visit and other antibiotics.

Dr. Scarlett :

I understand your "pain"! Since Molly has been seen frequently in the past for these same, recurring issues, I would just give the vet a call and see if he/she will just prescribe cephalexin without having to bring Molly in. I hate to have you use the minocycline as I just don't think it is the best antibiotic for this condition.

Dr. Scarlett :

For a dog with an auto-immune disease, like lupus or pemphigus, the minocycline is used as an anti-inflammatory. It might actually make more sense to increase Molly's prednisone to get these hot spots under control if there doesn't seem to be an infection.

Customer:

Okay, thanks for your help! :)

Customer:

Are you allowed to Prescribe meds to clients?

Dr. Scarlett :

No, I can't prescribe any medications without a valid doctor/patient/client relationship. Since I can't actually give Molly a physical, I can only advise. Unless, of course, you live near me and come to my clinic! :)

Customer:

Thanks!! I live in the South Bay by Los Angeles; I like my Vet I was just trying to take a short-cut by using the minocyline that I have, Have a great day!! I will use you again for sure! Excellent response and service!!

Dr. Scarlett :

You're welcome. Good luck!

Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr Sarlett,
Molly's wound is actually looking much better; I didn't take her to the Vet but I've been cleaning it with peroxide and is looking much better. Thank you for asking. Have a nice weekend.
M
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr Sarlett,
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear!