Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Dachshund was born October 2009. I bought him in March

My Dachshund was born October 2009. I bought him in March 2010. Every August he develops an itching problem like clockwork. His skin is very dry. I feed him Avoderm for small breeds. I give him omega 3 supplements. He has no fleas or ticks thanks to Frontline and Orkin. Heartgard is given monthly. I bathe him once a month with a shampoo and conditioner with oatmeal and aloe vera.When he bites and scratches to excess, I use Witch hazel and Vaseline and the inflamed spot gets better. I can't afford an allergy test. My vet gave him medication but the itching comes back as soon as it's finished. As soon as the weather cools the condition leaves. Is there anything else I can do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does he currently have skin problems or you are trying to avoid the skin problems in October?
2- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Usually the condition is gone by October. He is overweight at 19 lbs.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, it sounds like Coco is suffering from seasonal allergies. What you can do is start him on an antihistamine at the end of September right before the problem begins. Allergies are mediated via histamine so giving him an antihistamine should prevent the skin problems. You can give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg every 12 hours during that period. You can buy benadryl over the counter in any human pharmacy. Continue giving him the omega 3 fatty acids as this will help with inflammation and with the effectiveness of the antihistamine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Already tried the Benadryl. Doesn't work.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am going to opt out and allow other experts to comment. Please do not respond so the question does not come back to me and remains open for other experts to see.

Dr. Peter