Dr. Raymond
Dr. Raymond, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello! My name is Dr. Kevin Raymond with 13 years of experience. I truly understand how much our furry loved ones mean to us.

1 1/2 week old pup with sneeze cough

My Chihuahua's week and a half old pup has a little bit of a runny nose and sneezing and coughing a little. Seems fussy. But he is still nursing well. Should I be worried take him to a vet?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Raymond replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about little Toby and his recent clinical signs. My name isXXXXX and I have been treating dogs and cats in California for 13 years. Our best case scenario is that little Toby developed an upper respiratory tract infection that is easily treated with antibiotics and probiotics. However, some nursing pups can develop aspiration pneumonia if their suckle response is not strong. Another concern is something called a cleft palate. A few questions...
1. Is any discharge coming from the nose?
2. is the pup the same weight and acting the same as his littermates?
3. Could you look at his upper hard palate (back top half of mouth and see if there is hole or divet there?
Ideally he should be seen by a vet to rule out a cleft palate and then the vet will likely consider some antibiotics and probiotics and it should not cost too much. I would be happy to consult with you after the visit as having 2 heads on a medical case is always better than one. I look forward to hearing from you in response to my questions. Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX

NOTE: This information does not replace an in person consultation with your veterinarian and is for information purposes only. Thank you!
Dr. Raymond, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Hello! My name is Dr. Kevin Raymond with 13 years of experience. I truly understand how much our furry loved ones mean to us.
Hello again Tina, I was seeing how little Toby is doing and if you had any more questions. I hope he is doing better and there was no cleft palate. Thanks, Dr Kevin