Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My XXXXX XXXXX Terrier, Lizzie, was stung by a wasp this morning.

My XXXXX XXXXX Terrier, Lizzie, was stung by a wasp this morning. She has had them in the past with 9 stings when she surprised a nest. That was about 4 years ago. She is 7 years old.

Hi Julie, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

I'm sorry to hear about this concern for Lizzie:

1. Is she still swollen from where the wasp stung her?

2. How long ago did you give her Zyrtec?

3. How much did you give her?

4. How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to
type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no swelling yet. She is panting, shaking and she keeps looking back where she was stung. She has some general allergies to grass? and has been biting and licking her paws. That is why I gave her the Zyrtec about one hour ago in her food. 1/4 teaspoon and she weighs 16 lbs

Julie:
Thanks so much for the additional information.

Certainly the signs you're describing are consistent with pain/discomfort although dogs will pant and shake secondary to fever, fear and anxiety as well. I'm not a huge fan of coincidence, so she may be reacting to the wasp sting (even though we usually see swelling when this happens).
The Zyrtec was not a bad choice especially since you've probably used it in the past for her allergies.
I like Benadryl for wasp and insect stings myself which you could also consider in 12 hours if you wanted to give her another antihistamine.

You could also give her Aspirin which might help if she's a little sore even though she's not swollen. The dose would be 1/2 of a full strength 325 mg tablet of two of the 81 mg type.

It might also be helpful to take her temperature. Normal is between 100 and 102.5; if she were having a severe anaphylactic reaction, then it might be elevated.

I hope this helps and that she'll start feeling better soon. Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much Benadryl?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much Benadryl?

Julie:

Sorry, I should have mentioned the dose. The dose of Benadryl is 1 mg/lb which is 16 mg. So, either 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet or a full tablet.
If you use liquid Benadryl at a concentration of 12.5 mg/5 ml, then 1 and 1/4th teaspoons would be her dose.
You probably know that sedation is a common side effect.

It's also possible that the wasp has nothing to do with Lizzie's symptoms and if that's the case, then I should have mentioned other possibilities.
I've seen dogs with anal gland issues behave as you describe so this might also be something to consider. I don't know if you're familiar with these glands, but this LINK discusses them in detail.
Some dogs are extremely bothered when these glands fill up which causes pressure on their bodies and will continue to do so until they are emptied. Although a groomer can provide this service for you, they usually attempt to empty the glands externally. The better method is done rectally which is how a vet tech or your vet would empty them.

Deb

Julie:

I just wanted to thank you for the rating and bonus; it's greatly appreciated.
I also wanted to wish you the best with Lizzie.

I hope you'll keep me posted about her. Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards, Deb

Julie:
Hello:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lizzie. How is she doing? Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lizzie is doing very well. She has recovered from the sting. Thank you so much for helping me.

Julie:
What excellent news! Thanks so much for letting me know:) Deb