Dr. Raymond
Dr. Raymond, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello! My name is Dr. Kevin Raymond with 13 years of experience. I truly understand how much our furry loved ones mean to us.

In the last few days my standard poodle is throwing up when

In the last few days my standard poodle is throwing up when she does eat and often does not want to eat the rice, chicken and green beans that I cook for her. She has always thrived on this food program. It's a lot of work but worth it. Now with the vomiting she is also chewing at the hair in her left haunch. I thought it was just nerves. We drove her 2500 miles in our car and she never put her head down going or coming. She sat stretched out with her head erect. We took breaks every two hours and she seemed fine. We live in the desert of southern California and traveled to the mountains of Crested Butte, Colorado and then on to Dallas. We stayed in each place for a week. In Dallas she was briefly in a yard where there were feral cats. do you have any idea what I should do?
Hello, I am sorry to hear about Olivia and here recent vomiting and anorexia. My name isXXXXX and I have been treating dogs and cats in California for 13 years. It sounds like Olivia has seen quite of the west and mid west, a true traveling dog! A few questions so I can better understand what is going on...
1. Is Olivia showing any lethargy, diarrhea, coughing or sneezing?
2. Has she ever had bouts like this before even if more mild?
3. Has she been to a vet recently and if so, were any tests done?
I hope this is just gastroenteritis. My biggest worry though is here breed as Poodles are very prone to a condition called Addison's disease and you could research it on and it is where the adrenal glands are not making enough hormones and is a very common cause of vomiting, anorexia and lethargy in Standard Poodles. Since it can be a very serious disease I would suggest to take her to a vet and have a chemistry/CBC and ACTH stim test done to rule out Addison's and if those tests are normal then consider taking an abdominal x-ray to make sure she did not eat something inappropriate. she may have picked up a parasite from the feral cats too and you may want to consider testing her feces. IN the southwest there are some unique fungal diseases like coccidiomycosis which you could also research on I would be happy to continue consulting with you after she gets an exam and labwork done as having 2 heads on a medical case is better than one. I look forward to hearing from you in response to my questions and after you research the conditions on My thoughts are with you and Olivia. Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX

NOTE: This information does not replace an in person consultation with your veterinarian and is for information purposes only. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, she has had bouts like this before. Her stool is oftentimes loose but I believe I can't give her any treats because when I do, the stool is very loose. A little bit of treat, less loose, m ore of a treat, more loose. She has never had the chewing at her haunch although she does tend to chew her toes. She does seem to be more lethargic. She also seems to have developed a recent habit of clicking her teeth. It all seems like a nerve problem.

Hello again, Thanks for the additional information. The fact that Olivia has had bouts like this before makes Addison's disease even more likely as it tends to wax and wane. She could also have inflammatory bowel disease(IBD). Since Addison's disease could cause an acute crisis and even shock I would highly recommend to get the chemistry/CBC and make sure an ACTH stim test is done to rule our Addison's disease. If she does have it it is very manageable with a good prognosis. The fact that Olivia does not chew up things makes a GI obstruction much less likely. Teeth clicking could indicate abdominal pain or discomfort which could be seen with either Addison's or IBD. If her tests come back normal then I would consider metronidazole, pepcid, probiotics and prilosec. I hope this information was helpful and please keep me posted. I will be happy to continue consulting with you after the lab tests are done. Thank you again, Dr Kevin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. I went in to and sadly, I believe, that she may well have Addison's disease. I have an appointment with our vet today and will have him do the tests. I hope she is not now in shock. What would be those symptoms? If she is in shock, I should take her right away.

Hello again, Shock signs would be extreme weakness, vomiting and pale gum color. How do her gums look pale compared to your gum color (they should be pink)? I am very glad you are getting her to the vet to get the tests done and please keep me posted and I can help guide you with treatment options with your vet. A way to save tons of money on medications is to ask your vet for a written prescription and then get the meds filled on line at 1-1800 Pet Meds. My clients have been very happy with the savings. Hope to hear from you after the visit. Thank you again, Dr Kevin
Hello again, I was checking in on Olivia and seeing how she is doing. Any news on her test results about possible Addisons. I hope she is feeling better. Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance. Thanks, Dr. Kevin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr Raymond
We had all the tests on Olivia.clean blood; no Addison's. She is much better and l believe it could be nerves but she did develop diarrhea.I'm away until Monday so will learn more next week.

Hello Mary, Thank you for the update with Olivia and I am glad she is doing better. I am also glad that all her tests came back normal, great news!! Animals can get stress colitis or stress induced gastritis. You could research stress colitis on I usually treat those cases with metronidazole, bland diet and probiotics. What medications were Olivia treated with? If ti recurs or becomes chronic then fecal testing for clostridia can help or treat with a high fiber diet with beet pulp. Please keep me posted and let me know if I can help in any other way. I wish you safe travels. Best regards, Dr Kevin