Dr. Raymond
Dr. Raymond, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello! My name is Dr. Kevin Raymond with 13 years of experience. I truly understand how much our furry loved ones mean to us.

Hi there, I have a German Shepherd puppy (4 month old) and

Hi there,

I have a German Shepherd puppy (4 month old) and he recently got X-Ray'ed. My vet is suggesting to perform a "Juvenile Pubic Symphysiodesis" because he thinks he has a high chance of getting Hip Dysplasia. I am looking to get a second opinion about this to see if it is really necessary.

Here's the details about the Xray:

They have performed a distraction radiography and the distraction values were 0,56 and 0,63 therefore I've been told there is a high risk of my puppy having HD in the future. they have suggested the procedure as a preventative measure since it can not be applied after 5 and a half months.

Do you agree? Thanks.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your Shepherd puppy, they are super cute at this age! My name isXXXXX and I have been treating dogs and cats in California for 13 years. There is a lot of controversy with diagnosing potential hip dysplasia at such a young age because the growth plates on the bones have not closed yet. I would be apprehensive about jumping the gun on such and invasive surgery. The OFA (orthopedic foundation for animals) will only give preliminary results until an animal reaches 2 years of age. A few questions so I can better understand what is going on...
1. Were the the x-rays read by a board certified radiologist (vets who only read x-rays) and usually the fee is not much especially if your vet had digital x-ray which must clinics these days do? That would be my first step.
2. Could your vet refer to board certified veterinary orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion? They are usually found at specialty centers or teaching universities. If he was my dog would first get the rads read by a radiologist and then consult an orthopedic specialist or with another vet whom has a special interest in orthopedics. My gut feeling based on those values is that they will say to recheck the rads in 1 month before the 5 moth cut off before doing something as invasive and risky as a Juvenile Pubic Symphysiodesis. With the distraction values there is no way to be 100% sure how severe the dysplasia will be and some cases are very mild and the patients don't have problems until they get older. There are also procedure like and FHO or total hip that could be done later in life. Medical management for hip dysplasia with NSAIDS, tramadol, joint supplement, acupuncture and cold laser therapy and rehab have also come a long way. So my answer to your question would be to definitely get a second opinion. Penn Hip evaluations can also be done to assess a dogs risk of getting HD. Again, I am sorry to hear you and your doggie are going through this and I understand your apprehension with surgery. I would be happy to consult with you as much as you need after getting the a second opinion on the rads and surgical options. I hope this information was helpful. My thoughts are with you. Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Raymond

NOTE: This information does not replace an in person consultation with your veterinarian and is for information purposes only. Thank you!
Hello again, I was checking in on your German Shepherd puppy and seeing if you git any new information. Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance. Thanks, Dr. Kevin Raymond