Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.

We have a little bulldog who is 10 1/2 years old. She is throwing

We have a little bulldog who is 10 1/2 years old. She is throwing up a white foamy slimy substance, no food, very often , along with excessive drooling. She has been doing this foe several months, but now it is more often and in larger quarries. We have taken her to a vet and checked for ear infections which were negative. We had her on Benadryl and Pepcid, and right now she is on antronex twice a day and we are bald way into a two week program of omeprazole, which doesn't not seem to be working. She is on a grain free diet for the past year. The drooling is in huge amounts along with the throwing uo of the white substance. Her appetite is still good, and she continues to drink water and urinate on a regular basis

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Sorry to hear Sadie is doing all that vomiting! Has your vet done any bloodwork or taken any x-rays?

Customer: No not at this time
Dr. Scarlett :

OK, well I think that is where you need to start, rather than just trying various things. Problems like kidney failure can cause vomiting and nausea and would be treated differently than with a grain-free diet or acid reducers. The other possibility is dental disease, which can cause excessive drooling. If she has a lot of tartar or red gums, then having them cleaned and any diseased teeth extracted should help a lot. X-rays can help look for any growths that might be pushing on the stomach or intestines.

Customer: O.k that is a start we just lost a 3 1/2 year old boxer to kidney failure..did everything possible along with a 4,000 vet bill.
Customer: Was hoping that we could do something on a smaller basis right now
Customer: Could dental problems cause the throwing up of the white foamy substance, and what exactly is that.
Dr. Scarlett :

I think dental disease could cause the vomiting, partly from pain and partly from just swallowing all the saliva.

Dr. Scarlett :

I think since you've been trying various things with no real success, it is time to move on to further diagnostics. If you catch something early, hopefully the cost won't be as much.

Customer: O.k. We will make another trip to the vet.