Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My jack russel dog, who is 9 months old ate a voltaren 25 and

My jack russel dog, who is 9 months old ate a voltaren 25 and is now Zantac syrup-ranitidine 15mg
carafatr
carafate (sucralfate)1g
.5 zantac dosage
1/2 tablet carafate
3 times a day

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

I see your dog Tommy ate voltaren and is now being treated.

Dr. G :

What can I help you with today?

Customer:

Treatment started yestersday. So he has had mediction for 24hours. He is still larthagic and not himself. He is not keen to eat but he is not a big eater any way. Is this quietness and sleepiness to be expected? When should I expect to see him be more of himself?

Dr. G :

Some quietness and lethargy is expected. Was any bloodwork done so far?

Customer:

No blood work done. Due to the dose it wasn't seen as needed.

Dr. G :

I see. I would expect Tommy to have an upset stomach for at least a couple days, which would cause the current signs. I typically recommend adding in a good medication to help with nausea like ondansetron or Cerenia (maropitant). You should be able to get one of these from your vet. I would definitely get one of those medications in Tommy to help make him feel better.

Dr. G :

The dose is low enough that I would not expect kidney failure, however if the signs do not improve over the next few days, I would have a blood and urine sample checked just to make sure there is not significant kidney injury

Dr. G :

You may notice very dark black stool, which is due to ulceration of the GI tract from the medication. If that pops up, signs should resolve within a couple days

Customer:

I'm just thinking this through. Should he be kept as quiet as possible as I can. That is no walks. He is not up to playing but likes his short walk?

Dr. G :

If he is comfortable, he can have a short walk

Dr. G :

There should not be any issue with that. He will tell you when to stop. I would not take him on a long walk

Customer:

Thank you you have comprehensively answered questions for me. I think my last one is about encouraging him to eat. Tonight he was 'offered' a little rice and chicken. which I ended up hand feeding to ensure he got his meds.As I said he is not a piggy' dog so this is highly unusual but would milk be good for him?

Customer:

is the zantac to settle hs stomach?

Dr. G :

I would avoid milk, mainly because it very commonly causes diarrhea and upset stomach

Dr. G :

The zantac is to decrease stomach acid to prevent damage caused by a stomach ulcer

Dr. G :

I like chicken and rice. You can also try something like green beans or carrots to encourage eating. Cooked egg whites are also great

Customer:

thank you very much for yor advice and support

Dr. G :

You're very welcome.

I wish you the best with Tommy. Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great day!

Hi Sue,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tommy. How is everything going?

Dr. G