Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Foster pup, 8 weeks old. Just had surgery today at humane society.

Foster pup, 8 weeks old. Just had surgery today at humane society. Sleeping well. Concern is she has diarrhea. However, it could be because humane society gave her different food than the blue buffalo I took for her. They gave her science diet. Can puppy be given whole pumpkin to balance out stool?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn your puppy has diarrhea. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What type of surgery did she have?
2- Any vomiting?
3- Any blood in the stool?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Neutered/spayed was the surgery. No vomiting, don't think there is blood in stool either. I was the foster and pup is with her adoptive family for the first night. Waiting for new mom to confirm no blood in stool.

Monica, you are right it is possible the diarrhea was as a result of the change in food. In response to your question, yes, you can add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to help with the diarrhea. In addition, you can change the diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal. Then, wean back into her regular puppy food.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry new mom texted and said EARLIER there was some blood in stool but not in diarrhea now. Should she still be ok for pumpkin or the or rice and chicken? What would warrant taking pup in to emergency vet?
Yes, she can have the pumpkin. I would prefer you change the diet to a bland diet like rice and chicken, the rice will help make her stool solid. Then, once the stool is normal you wean her back into her puppy food. This is Not an emergency, she will be fine.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it ok that she hasn't had any water since getting home? She's sleeping the anesthesia off. I'm happy to pay for the answer just want to make absolutely sure we have all concerns resolved.
It is normal and expected for her to be sleeping recovering from anesthesia, she will be fine. Do not force feed her or force water into her mouth, let her take the water on her own.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter