Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

dog licked my knee where i had applied Australian Dream Cream

dog licked my knee where i had applied Australian Dream Cream about 2 hours before, what should i look for or do?

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dogdoc4u :

Is she having any signs of gi upset?

Dogdoc4u :

If just licking your knee after application and she is not showing any signs of gi upset you should be just fine. The amount ingested would be minimal and I would not expect her to have any issues with the ingestion

Dogdoc4u :

I am going to change formats so you can view my responses. I am on-line an additional 20 minutes this evening if I can be of any further assistance

have you seen the ingredients?

would any expected problems be gi related?

should i watch for any symptoms?

Yes, if this is the arthritis pain relief cream formula then I have reviewed the ingredients and it would likely take ingesting 1/2 to an entire tub to cause gi upset including vomiting/ diarrhea. Unless she has a sensitive stomach and this would result in possible loose stool for 24 hours.

There is nothing I see that licking a small amount would cause anything more than slightly loose stool if that.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. If it has been 2 hours since application most of it is likely absorbed. I would monitor tonight (especially the first 2-4 hours) and ensure there is free access to water but I suspect she should be just fine...
I apologize if you are having difficulties with the chat. I have responded and will hopefully this will give you an additional ability to see my responses. Please note that your rating is based on my ability to assist you not on the functionality of the site.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX response will stimulate your ability to see my answers...

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is fine, no apparent bad effects, stool is good, eyes normal, no vomiting, as active as ever.

Thanks for your enlightened reassurance and follow-up.

In future, just to be safe, long pants go on after med applications on knees.

Thank you so much for the update, glad to hear she is doing well and has no ill effects from the ingestion. Yes, it sounds like long pants are indicated in the future!