Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

my 5 year old cocker spaniel started to shake & then hoped

my 5 year old cocker spaniel started to shake & then hoped off the couch & started to walk like she had a bad leg cramp or loss of balance
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long did the shaking last?
2- Was he entire body shaking?
3- Is she able to walk normal?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Has this ever happen before?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she seems fine now but still worried shaking only lasted about 20 seconds & it seemed to be her hole body was shaking & seems to be walking normal now no pre existing medical problems & its never happened before

Ray, what you are describing what occurred with Miley is consistent with a seizure. When a dog seizes there could be an underlying medical problem causing the seizure. Possible causes for seizures in dogs are an under active thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney or liver disease, hypoglycemia, brain tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. The most common cause is idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know why the brain behaves in such manner but we can control the seizures with medications (phenobarbital or/and potassium bromide).
In this case, I would highly recommend a check up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination and blood work as initial screening test to rule out the above mentioned diseases. If Miley seizes more than once a month medication should be started to stop or prevent the seizures. Observe her tonight, if she seizes again have her checked by ER veterinarian otherwise follow up with family veterinarian.
I would also recommend a grain free diet like Taste of Wild or California Natural; we are learning that ingredients like gluten (protein in wheat, rye and barley), corn, soy, and casein (protein in milk) can play a role in seizure activity in dogs. Table food and treats should also be free of the above ingredients.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter