Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

I have a terrier mix (pit) He is having prob with anal glands

I have a terrier mix (pit) He is having prob with anal glands every 2 weeks. Giving him fiber pills daily, and is still having prob. anything else I can give him to help? I have had him for 3 years and no prob til now (last couple of months).
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Unfortunately, the problem may be a bit worse.
If repeated problems in this interval, you need to ask the vet what are they expressing out of the glands! Someone may not be paying attention.
What I mean is that there may be an anal gland infection (anal sacculitis), and he may require a course of antibiotics.

If they are quickly filling up repeatedly, it may be necessary to have anal gland surgery done to simply remove the anal glands. Costly, but takes away the long-term concern for repeated issues.

Fiber is meant to try and bulk up the feces, in the hopes, that large bowel movements will help to express the anal glands on their own when a dog defecates. Unfortunately, this does not always work.

Very sorry to hear about anal gland problems. No fun for anyone.

Anal Gland Impaction
Anal glands
Anal Sac Disease & Sacculitis

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?