Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Took my 2.5 year old Shephard to the vet and his temp was 102.9.

Took my 2.5 year old Shephard to the vet and his temp was 102.9. Doctor gave some medication, including to shots. Pet has been very reluctant to eat anything since. He seems a bit lethargic but still wants to play.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Ronin.
That temperature is a bit concerning, since at 103.0, I really consider it more of an emergency. I am not so confident getting some simple B vitamins and an antibiotic is addressing this concern fully.

He very well may need to get back into a vet for some basic testing. A blood and urine test would reveal a lot about his overall health!

In the meantime,
I am concerned he may be nauseated. Not eating well and on an antibiotic which can make it worse!

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
And
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice
Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including
Science Diet I/D
*It is important to remember that if improving on a bland diet or prescription food like I/D, when you transition back to the old diet, do so gradually over 3-5 days.

Very sorry to hear Ronin is not feeling well. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ronin was provided the following meds by the vet:

cephalexin 500 mg and allerderm. Each is to be administered 2x per day.

Understood Harold.
Cephalexin is a basic antibiotic. Nothing too fancy, cost effective, but still can impact the stomach no different than any other antibiotic.

Can't really comment on the allerderm or its benefit in this particular situation. Not worried about it though.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management