Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Our 8 year old Welsh Terrier was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas

Our 8 year old Welsh Terrier was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. The affected area is his front paw between the toes.
What is the most up to date course of treatment?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it both front paws?
2- Is he licking his paws?
3- Is he on oral antibiotics? If so, what is the name?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. It is only the right front paw

2. No, he is being prevented form licking as he is currently wearing a cone

3. He is currently on predisone, and ketakysonal (sp?). Duration over 2 weeks.

4. Lab work (culture) was only recently done, and new coarse of treatment is being considered by our Vet.

Danielle, if your vet did a culture, the lab will most likely provide a report with a list of antibiotics that would be appropriate to use against the pseudomonas. You see, sometimes this bacteria could be resistant to many of the antibiotics that we use but the report will provide guidance as to what is the best antibiotic to use. I would phone your veterinarian and ask if they did a "sensitivity" with the culture. If so, what antibiotic was found to be effective against the pseudomonas? In addition, request from your family veterinarian an antimicrobial soap called "Chlorhexiderm" wash area 2 times a day with this soap prior to applying topical medication on the lesion. Continue with ecollar to prevent licking as this will delay healing. Once you treat with the antibiotic according to the culture & sensitivity report and topical chlorhexiderm, it will get better.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Danielle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Grffen. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter