Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .
60411192

I have a 3month old 22 pounds pitbull puppy and he cries every

I have a 3month old 22 pounds pitbull puppy and he cries every 10 mins out of pain he doesnt want to move or stand up or even be carried. I took him to the vet and the xrays doesnt show any broken bones. He told me that it just growin more than normal and it hurts him and put him on pain killers like percoset! Can u help me!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hi Naomi, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered; I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a reply.
If you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I'm assuming that you vet thinks Jack has Panosteitis (LINK). While this is a possibility, I usually see this condition in dogs who are a little older than 3 months of age. X-rays can be used to diagnose this problem but changes in the bone can take several weeks to show up which might be why the x-rays were clean.
Unfortuantely, treatment is targeted at controlling symptoms with anti-inflammatory drugs such as Deramaxx, Previcox, Rimadyl or Metacam. I'll use pain medications such as Tramadol as well although every vet has their personal preference for drugs. Most dogs will respond to these drugs to some degree although Panosteitis can wax and wan and recur during the growing phase.

But, there are other possibilities for his signs as well, especially if he has a fever.
If you take a rectal thermometer, you can take his temperature. Normal is between 100 and 102.5.

1. Meningitis which is an inflammation of the brain which is usually secondary to a bacterial or viral, protozoal or rickettesial infection.

2. Steroid responsive meningitis-arteritis (SRMA) is similar to #1 but is a disease of unknown cause but believed to be immune mediated in origin which can cause pain and fever symptoms.
This LINK may be helpful in understanding these two conditions.

If this were my case, I would start Jack on anti-inflammatory drugs if his pain is localized to his legs. But if his neck appears to be a focus of pain, then I'd want to rule out meningitis; you may need to have him seen by a neurologist if this is suspected, though, for additional testing.
At the very least, you might want to consider a second opinion from another vet in your area.

I hope this helps; again, my apologies for the delayed response. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the response. The vet did diagnosed Panosteitis but the puppy is under a lot of pain and is crying really hard, the painkillers wear off he starts to cry really hard and it breaks my heart. how long is he going to be suffering? And what causes this condition.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Naomi:
You're welcome.
I know how tough it is to see your pup in pain. Pups this age do tend to slightly overreact when they're uncomfortable, but we do know this condition to be a painful one so I know his reactions are real.
In my experience, Panosteitis can last for weeks to months in some dogs although most dogs are well controlled with drugs. I've seen some where they seemed fine and then a month later would have another flare-up....so it's quite unpredictable.
We don't know what triggers the condition although the pain is felt to be caused by inflammation of the long bones. One way to distinguish it from other conditions such as I mentioned it that the dogs are clearly painful in their legs..often only one but the pain can shift to involve multiple legs as well. They're usually lame on the leg that hurts and you can often localize the pain to a specific spot on the bone when you palpate it very firmly.

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can i give him massages to help him soothe? Cause i rub him in his front legs and neck and he seems to like it. But i dont know if is going to do more wrong to him

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Naomi:
Yes, massages would be fine; this won't cause more harm at all. I'm certain that it feels good for him.

I would also contact your vet about dispensing anti-inflammatory drugs that I mentioned. Pain drugs alone aren't usually enough to help make these dogs feel better.

I'm terribly sorry but I have to step away from my computer for a little bit (I have to take my neighbor to a doctor's appointment).
I will be more than happy to continue this discussion with you when I return if you have more questions or concerns.
Or, if you want to relist the question, another expert may be able to help you.
Again, I'm sorry about this:(
Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Naomi:

Just a quick thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
I also wanted to wish you the best with your boy. I hope you'll keep me posted about his situation. Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Good luck:) Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Naomi:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is he doing? Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well hes been on anti inflamatory and pain killers. He is doing fine except his neck is a bit tilted to a side and walks funny. But he is playing with my other dogs. Jumps on my bed to sleep with me.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Naomi:
Thanks for the update about Jack.

It's not been my experience that dogs who have Panosteitis experience balance issues but I suppose if he's trying to compensate for the discomfort, then he might walk differently.
But it's good that he feels well enough to play and to jump on the bed:)

Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im afraid that maybe the food caused this on him. Two days before his episode I changed his food to "small bites" Old Roy High Performance

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Naomi:
There may be a relationship between panosteitis and feeding protein-rich, high calorie dog foods although more research needs to be done on this.
But I've seen a fair number of dogs with this condition and haven't associated it with the diet.
And, how would you have known? You were just doing what you thought was best for Jack...although I don't usually feed Performance-based dog foods to pups; I don't think they need them. Deb