Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Our neighbors two Doberman s just attacked and almost killed

Our neighbor's two Doberman s just attacked and almost killed our dog which was walking with us. They chewed her up and tossed her around in their jaws and they would have killed her except for our yelling and screaming. The only fence is electric and our dog went up on the grass to say hello. She is small, and old and not at all aggressive. We have three children and our 8 year old daughter is very angry with the Dobermans. We also have a new kitten which she has in her arms most of the time. The neighbors are across the road from us and we have a long driveway. Our daughter cannot get but halfway down our driveway when they start barking. They obviously smell her because they can't see her until she reaches the end of the driveway. I fear she has become bait for them between her own feelings of anger and the scent of cat. We have not told the neighbors because we recognize that those dogs are trained to protect the property. Our vet bill was $500 and the dog is still trying to heal. Do you think if we told the neighbors, it would be possible for them to help us deactivate our children and our two dogs (or even just our children) so that the Dobermans would know we are not a threat? I am concerned that even if we tried, the dogs would sense the children's anger.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn your dog was attacked by the Doberman. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I got this right, so there is no physical fence separating the Doberman from the street or side walk, correct?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only thing keeping them in their own yard is an electric fence which our poor old dog didn't feel. She was trying to be friendly.

Gay, I really do understand you trying not to overstep your boundaries in regards XXXXX XXXXX neighbors and how they choose to protect their home. But, the scenario you describe is a concern, your daughter as well as your other pets are at risk of being attacked and bitten by their dogs. The electric fence can fail and place your daughter in danger. I would strongly recommend you speak to your neighbors and let them know what happen with your other dog for them to take the necessary precaution to better confine their dogs. In addition, your daughter should not be with the kitten in her arms near or on the driveway if there is no physical barrier between her and the Doberman. As far as re-training their dogs, it can be done but that would require the work with their trainer. In the meantime, you need to protect your daughter and your pets from any potential harm. Your neighbor needs to be aware of what is happening.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!