Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi Dr Peter...Rain is doing much better but I have a question

Hi Dr Peter...Rain is doing much better but I have a question about my Beagle: She is about 8 yrs old and have noticed her face (left side when looking at her) is Twisted a bit sort of like a stroke God Forbid. She eats great, normal stools, sleeps all fine but has an issue constantly with her ears...Floppy long ears. Could this cause the face twisting?
Good Morning Shellie, I am glad to learn Rain is doing better. I will be glad to help you with your Beagle.

1- When you say she has an issue with ears, do you mean she has ear infections?
2- Is her eyelid or lips droopy on that side of the face?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Peter

Yes...She has ongoing ear issue. I used the ear wash yesterday and noticed a slight improvement. Her face looks a but twisted as I look at her on the left side and yes slight eye lid droopy...

1- What are you using to treat the ears?
2- Has she been seen by a vet for her ear problems? If so, have they done a culture & sensitivity?
3- Does she have skin problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I took her fairly recently and they gave her Clavamox and an earwash. They cleaned her ears...It went away and now it's back 3 months later. She gets bald spots and redness because she bites at it-I stopped using the Arm & Hammer carpet pet fresh and that went away.

I am using the ear wash I pour it in just a bit, massage her ears and she seems to get relief

You are not using topical antibiotics in the ear?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope I just used what the vet gave (Clavamox and wash)..Clavamox I still have should I use those tablets?

Shellie, what you are seeing on her face being twisted is called "Facial nerve paralysis." In other words, the nerve that is innervating the muscles of her face is not working. There are lots of reasons why this nerve would stop working. But, having a history of chronic ear problems it could be related to the ears. You see, the facial nerve as it goes to the face it has a branch that passes through the ear canal, so inflammation in the ear canal will interfere with the function of the nerve. Once you treat and correct the ear problem the nerve will start working and correct the facial deviation.
I would recommend you phone your family veterinarian and request a topical medication for the ears like Otomax. Clean her ears twice a day and then apply the otomax, do this for the next 10-14 days. In addition, start her on the Clavamox.
Finally, if she is also having skin problems it is important to rule out allergies as the primary cause for her skin and ear problems. This is what you can do:

1- Change the diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what she normally has in the past. For example: Taste of Wild Salmon. When on this diet she should not eat anything else or she will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement.

2- Start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1mg for every pound body weight every 12 hours. For example if she weighs 10 lbs she will require 10mg every 12 hours. Do Not exceed 50mg every 12 hours.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

Shellie, it was really nice to talk you again. Please reply back if you have any additional questions. I
am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Shellie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter