Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I am relocating from Australia to Scotland next year. I am

I am relocating from Australia to Scotland next year. I am taking my two Maltese shit tzu's with me. I am very concerned about the length of the flight and the stress and anxiety this may place on them, especially since one of the dogs gets extremely anxious with loud noises.
Is there anything you can suggest i could do towards reducing my dogs anxieties and do you think they will be ok on such a long flight?

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Hello again Jodie and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

I can make the following general comments based on my past experience of such cases over the years which includes many pre-flight health checks for dogs going on international flights out of London Heathrow to many destinations including Australia.

In my experience most dogs are just fine on these long flights but any problems I have heard or read about seem to have been linked to sedation. For this reason you are best to just send them with no prior medication of any sort to calm them, the chances are they will be fine.

You see sedation in dogs during flights has in the past been linked to deaths and other problems, for this reason I personally would advise against it. These problems may be due to reduced air pressure in the aircraft but we are not really sure on this point.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response, jet pets had told me they could not be sedated, however i am sill concerned about their anxiety. Is there any natural remedies or training i can do to reduce their anxiety?

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further. First of all sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am in a different time zone to you and I have just come on-line this morning and found your reply.

1. I would avoid any sedation or tranquiler remedies of any sort, whether natural or prescription. Many of the natural / alternative remedies just do not work to be frank and those that do would perhaps then bring you into the danger zone as far as meds and flights go. We just do not know enough about the dangers of flying and meds go at present so the best thing to do would be to avoid all them of any sort.

2. Training prior to flight would be a very good idea though. What you could so is to have Ruby & Daisy sleep in crates similar to the ones they will be using in the flight hold. { I guess you are going to have to buy crates anyway } Cover the crate with a blanket to simulate the low light conditions in the hold and this will give them a limited view, again like the hold. Leave the front part open but facing a blank wall. Using a radio with a timer or similar subject them to random loud noise of about ten minutes duration now and again. This will get them used to the crates and some of the conditions they might encounter during the flight.

Hello again ,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards and good luck with Ruby & Daisy ... ,