Dr. Bleakley
Dr. Bleakley, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  Surgery & emergency medicine. University College Dublin & Colorado State University.
75057054

My dog appears to have a urinary tract infection. I have some

My dog appears to have a urinary tract infection. I have some cephalexin from another vet visit. can I treat her UTI with this?

Dr. Bleakley :

Hello, my name isXXXXX a veterinary surgeon and I'd be happy to answer your question.

Dr. Bleakley :

Cephalexin concentrates well in the urine, however it is best for a class of bacteria known as "gram positive"

Customer:

I don't have a culture

Dr. Bleakley :

Gram positive bacteria are predominantly in the skin. The most common cause of urinary tract infections are fecal contaminants. These are mostly gram negative.

Dr. Bleakley :

So long story short, cephalexin is not the best antibiotic for UTI's, but could still help.

Customer:

Her vet is not open and she has blood in her urine. I hate to wait until Monday

Dr. Bleakley :

You could certainly start her on it pending a culture. It may treat the UTI just fine, it just wouldn't be a first choice if you had access to others. How much does Maggie weigh and what size of capsules do you have?

Customer:

She weighs about 14 pounds and they are 250 mgs. They were prescribed for her for a previous skin infection.

Dr. Bleakley :

She should be fine with one capsule twice daily. Be sure to see a vet as soon as you can though. It'd be a good idea to make sure her diabetes is well managed. There's a chance glucose in her urine is causing this UTI.

Dr. Bleakley :

Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

No. Thanks

Dr. Bleakley :

Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

No. Glad you were available.

Dr. Bleakley :

It's a pleasure. I hope she feels better. I know UTI's can be very uncomfortable and hard to watch in your dog. I wish you all the best.

Customer:

Thanks

Hi Val Edwards,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?

Dr. Bleakley