Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

I have a XXXXX XXXXX that got stung on the bridge of her nose

I have a XXXXX XXXXX that got stung on the bridge of her nose several times 4 days ago. I called the vet, they told me to administer low dose of Benedryll and antibiotic ointment on it and wait a day or two. She started to respond favorably yesterday, but today the swelling is increasing and she's not getting better. I called the vet today, they would not see her unless I had a previous appt. and told me there was emergency services in Madison, WI, which is nearly 2hrs from me and I wouldn't have made it there before they closed. I left a message with my vet to get her in asas Monday morning but, I'm worried sick and need to know if there's ANYTHING I can do for her. It's just heartbreaking to look at her and see her in so much discomfort. Any help would be appreciated.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How much Benadryl did you give her?

How much does she weigh?

Is she having any trouble breathing?

Are you seeing any sores or discharge on the skin of her nose?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She's around 30lbs. I gave her approx. 1/3 of a 25mg capsule. She's not having issues breathing, appetite is normal, but there is sores and discharge on her nose, which is pretty swollen. I'm scared that it can't wait till Monday and there's no place open tomorrow (Sunday)

Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that her nose is so swollen and she is uncomfortable at this time. A sting from an insect can definitely cause an allergic reaction on a dog's nose. Sometimes the allergic reaction can also develop a secondary infection and quite a bit of inflammation therefore I would be concerned that she is starting to get an infection which is why her nose is more painful

At this time, I do think that giving her more Benadryl is safe. The dose of Benadryl for an allergic reaction in dogs is actually 1 mg per pound every 8 hours therefore you can give her a much higher dose very safely. Benadryl is a safe medication i dogs that rarely causes any side effect other then some mild drowsiness.

Since her nose seems inflamed and painful, you could also give her some over the counter medication for the inflammation/pain. The safest over the counter medication would be aspirin. The dose is 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Even though this is safe some dogs can develop an upset stomach therefore if you see any vomiting or diarrhea then I would stop the aspirin. Aspirin is also safe to use with the Benadryl.

If she will let you, I do think that it is a good idea to place a cool rag on her nose also as you were trying. Applying the antibiotic ointment every 8 hours can also be helpful.

If this is not helping, then unfortunately he really should be seen by a vet as he may need an oral antibiotic to clear out the bacterial infection on his nose.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As it turned out, I got the dog to the vet ASAP and she had a secondary infection that we're now treating. Thank you for the help.

You are welcome! I glad that you were able to get some more help for her. I hope she is doing much better already.