Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

What antacid and dosage is appropriate for a 6 year old/24

What antacid and dosage is appropriate for a 6 year old/24 lb dog? Otherwise healthy, but vomits when stomach is empty for long periods. (He is much more interested in playing rather than eating and needs encouragement to eat at times)

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dogdoc4u :

This is a fairly common problem. In fact one of my dogs is the exact same way !

Dogdoc4u :

For a dog Tango's size it would be great to give famotidine (pepcid) 10 mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours

Dogdoc4u :

This antacid is the most effective in minimizing gi upset due to an empty stomach

Dogdoc4u :

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need further assistance for Tango!

Customer:

Just to clarify- 5mg q 12 hours?

Customer:

please clarify

Yes, exactly 5 mg every 12 hours
Are you having difficulty seeing my responses? I apologize I will restate that yes 5 mg every 12 hours is correct...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!

You are very welcome, so sorry if you were having difficulties with the site! Please let me know if you need any further assistance.
Hi May,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tango. How is everything going?

Dogdoc4u
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the follow-up. We have tried the pepcid 5mg twice/day now, but Tango is still throwing up a bit. The amount he throws up is much less. It's usually a large puddle of yellow vomit. Now it is a tiny puddle of yellow/brown vomit. Wondering if increasing the dosage is safe/appropriate for Tango.

Thanks,

May Lynn

Unfortunately his is the advised dose. You can try Prilosec (Omeprazole) 20 mg 1/2 tablet as an alternative...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, I'll try the Prilosec. Is it 10 mg twice/day?

Sorry just 1/2 tablet once daily
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much. We will try the Prilosec.

Great! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or this does not completely resolve or reduce the vomiting further...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, another question. The Omeprazole directions limit usage to a 14 day course to be repeated in 4 months. Do these directions hold true for dogs as well? Thanks.

No it is fine to continue longterm. The reasoning in humans is related to calcium/ bone deposition which is not typically something we need to worry about in pets because they don't live the 50-70+ years we do...