Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a 14 1/2 year old Brittany Spaniel. She is pretty healthy

I have a 14 1/2 year old Brittany Spaniel. She is pretty healthy overall. When she sleeps and gets up or really anytime she gets up after a long period of sitting I see she is very stiff. Is there anything I can give her?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Daisy is having problems with her back legs. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Is she on any medications?
4- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its actually her whole body....not just her back legs. When she gets up for about 2 mins she walks like a black scared cat on halloween with his back arched up. Once she loosens up she is better but slow moving. There is no vomiting, diarrhea or coughing. She is not on any meds and she weighs 35 lbs

Joni, what you are describing is consistent with neuromuscular pain, most likely back pain secondary to a pinch nerve (intervertebral disc disease), arthritis or a combination of both. The best option for Daisy is to have her examined by family veterinarian and start her on anti inflammatory medication like Rimadyl. If you can not get her to see soon this is what you can do:

1- Buffered Aspirin 325mg 3/4 tablet every 12 hours for 1 week. You can buy this over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- Glucosamine/chondroitin 250-300mg a day long term. You can buy this over the counter in a pharmacy or pet store.
3- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Joni,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for checking up on her. She seems to be doing pretty good with the aspirin and glucosamine. Should I def stop the aspirin after a week?? Thanks again for all your help
Hi Joni,

I am glad to learn she is doing better. She may need to be on anti inflammatory long term. I would stop the aspirin after 1 week and speak to family veterinarian about starting her on Rimadyl, it is better and safer when using long term. Continue on glucosamine long term.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will do that! Thanks!!
Your Welcome Joni.