Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have an old dog - a mutt. She has been incredibly healthy

I have an old dog - a mutt. She has been incredibly healthy for her 13.5 years, rarely anything. Occasionally she will throw up - but really maybe twice a year.

Just yesterday she started throwing up. She can't keep water or food down. Her last stool was last night - a small one, and she hasn't eaten since yesterday. I've been giving her ice cubes because otherwise she will gulp down water and then throw it right back up.

She has never had a situation like this - she might have thrown up once in the past - but not over two days.

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dogdoc4u :

So sorry to hear Pasha is not feeling well

Dogdoc4u :

How long now since she has vomited?

Customer:

About an hour.

Dogdoc4u :

The fact she is not holding anything down but ice cubes is definitely a concern. I can give you recommendations to see if we can get her to hold down food/ water but first and foremost we need to withhold food/ water for 12 hours to let her gi tract rest

Customer:

Okay.

Customer:

So no food or water for 12 hours. Then maybe to try some plain white rice?

Customer:

And chicken?

Dogdoc4u :

If my recommendations do not help in the next 24 hours then I really do urge a veterinary examination and diagnostics to find out the underlying cause. My recommendations are for simply gi upset

Dogdoc4u :

Please give me a moment to type out the recommendations

Dogdoc4u :

How much does she weigh please?

Customer:

35 pounds

Dogdoc4u :

OK thank you, XXXXX XXXXX me one moment

Customer:

What else could it be besides a gi tract? It came on suddenly - and she has been in good health - good long walks, no hip stuff - very healthy dog.

Dogdoc4u :

1- No food or water for 8-12 hours, keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves.
2- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Pasha comfortable and determine what exactly the underlying cause is.

Dogdoc4u :

Unfortunately at this age it can be many, many things

Dogdoc4u :

Including liver issues, inflammatory bowel disease, tumor in the gi tract, metabolic diseases to name a few

Dogdoc4u :

Often they do come on this abruptly

Dogdoc4u :

But hopefully it is simple gi upset and the steps above will help resolve her signs and getting her feeling better quickly

Dogdoc4u :

But if no change with feedings tonight then I would strongly urge a veterinary exam. I get nervous at the end of the week with clinics not open over the weekend and then ending in a veterinary er visit because there is no change

Customer:

I will make a vet appointment.

Dogdoc4u :

Please let me know if I can assist with additional questions or clarify anything today

Customer:

I don't think so - it is pretty much what I was thinking - but it is good to take her off of all water/food for a little while and then reintroduce.

Dogdoc4u :

I take this more seriously with 1.) small breed dogs, 2.) senior pets

Customer:

How do I print out your recommendations?

Dogdoc4u :

Perfect

Dogdoc4u :

You can cut/ paste and put in a word document or after you have rated the next page asks if you would like to save before exiting

Dogdoc4u :

Saving/ printing

Dogdoc4u :

You can also print page open

Customer:

Okay.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm just letting you know that my dog, Pasha, died very late on Thursday night. Thank you for helping out - you really helped me plan what to do. I had rice and chicken all ready for her for the next day - but she had different plans.

Liz

I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine your grief at this point and my thoughts are with you and your family...
Hi Elizabeth,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pasha. How is everything going?

Dogdoc4u
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pasha died!

I am so very sorry for your loss. This was an automated message and not sent by me. I am so very sorry this was sent again...please accept my apology as you grieve your beloved friend.