Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .

My 2 week old puppy is vomiting and her breathing seems labored

My 2 week old puppy is vomiting and her breathing seems labored and she is panting. This just happened today and all the other puppies seem just fine. Should I rush for an emergency room visit?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hi Austin, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

I'm really sorry to hear about this concern for Cinnamon.
If she were a little older, I might consider monitoring her but if you've bred before, then you know that pups this age don't have many reserves and can go downhill very quickly.
I wouldn't wait to have her seen if this were my pup; I find the panting especially concerning as well as her labored breathing.
I'd worry about aspiration pneumonia, fever, infection, possible birth defects.

If you have an ER clinic near where you live, then I'd have her seen.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

In the time between my post and your response her labored breathing (crackles and cough) have gone away she is also no longer panting I will of course take her to a vet but I'm wondering if since her symptoms have resolved if you think it is still necessary or if a routine visit tomorrow would be safe. The only slightly concerning symptom she is having is lethargy which could be due to the all of the excitement earlier with the panting and coughing. Just want to be absolutely sure before I use an oncall doctor as it is considerably more expensive.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Austin:
That's very encouraging that her respiratory symptoms seem to be improved. I really don't like it when a pup this age starts to have these signs...but I'm guessing you could tell that!

I think it would be really helpful for you to purchase or borrow a thermometer. Normal body temperatures for 2 week old pups should be around 99 degrees. You may or may not know that they can't regulate their body temperatures very well at this age which typically ranges from 100 to 102.5 (and this should be their range starting around 4 weeks of age). If her temperature is elevated, then I'd have her seen.

But if it's normal, I don't feel absolutely comfortable telling you that it will be ok to wait but the urgency is clearly not as apparent.

I know you would like reassurances but I just tend to be overly paranoid when it comes to pups this age....probably because I've seen so many breeders (myself included) lose pups within a matter of hours. This doesn't mean that you will lose her but I'd be watching her like a hawk for a recurrence of her previous symptoms or continued lethargy.

Deb
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I will go get a thermometer now. Any elevation or depression in temperature I will take her otherwise I will watch her continuously until complete return to normal or any other concerning signs. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Austin:
That sounds good; it's always prudent to have a thermometer in the house, especially when you have pets.

I hope you'll keep me posted about her. . Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can still continue to communicate as we have been. I'll be off and on the computer for 4-5 more hours today so you can let me know what her temperature is after you've taken it.

I can also send you a follow up email tomorrow to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Take care and good luck. I'll be thinking about her and wishing you the best. Deb

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Austin:
I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I'll look forward to updates about Cinnamon. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Austin:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cinnamon. How's she doing? Deb
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

She is doing great all back to normal. I still don't know for sure what happened but she is acting completely normal again.

Austin

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Austin:
You and Cinnamon have been on my mind and I'm so glad to hear that she seems ok now. We may never know why she behaved as she did but as long as she continues to thrive and there is no recurrence of her symptoms, then that would be fine by me!

I'll be wishing her continued good health. Deb