Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My dog has a terrible smell coming from his nose area. He is

My dog has a terrible smell coming from his nose area. He is a Bichon Frise, approximately 4 years old. We don't know his background because he is a rescue dog. He had an infection on the tail but that is getting better. We have him on Zymex and Multizyme tablets from Standard Process, but the smell coming from his nose is awful. He is also lethargic and seems depressed, wants to sleep a lot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
1. Is there any nasal drainage?
2. How are his teeth and his breath?
3. Has he seen a vet yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no drainage from the nose. His teeth and breath are fine. He saw the vet couple of weeks ago regarding skin infections, which have since cleared up, but the smell from the nose is worse.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
I bet he has a sinus infection. It could be bacterial or fungal but bacterial is more common.
The bacteria of a sinus infection, would cause a bad odor.
It would also cause lethargy.
So, I would try a course of antibiotics.
If that does not work, then he will need to have a scope passed up his nose to make sure he does not have a foreign body in his nasal passages causing a chronic odor.
Until you can get him to a vet, you can try human saline nasal drops to help flush out his nasal passages. Put a few drops, in each nostril, three times a day.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't think this is the problem. I also notice there is a smell coming through the skin on his paws. It's the same smell as around the nose area. I don't think it has anything to do with the actual nose. He had skin infections recently and I had to change his food. He had a lot of hot spots which is now cleared up, but the smell lingers. It's really awful.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I thought you said it was just the nose.
What are you currently feeding him now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just switched him back to Duck and Potato by Natural Balance. Before that when his skin infection was bad, he was on Chicken and Brown Rice formula by Blue. When he had the skin infection, I took him off of all dog food and fed him boiled chicken, whole grain brown rice and sweet potatoes...no flavoring of any kind, of course. Then when it cleared up, I tried his Blue dog food again and he broke out again, so I switched him to Natural Balance - Duck and Potato. He doesn't have any itching or hot spots now but just the smell. Could it be the enzymes that he is taking?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it could be the enzymes. Try stopping those.
The most common food allergens are beef, chicken, lamb, wheat, corn, soy, and dairy. You will want to avoid all of those.
The only truly hypo-allergenic food out there is hills z/d. The protein molecules have be hydrolyzed to make them so small that the body does not recognize them. Because the body can not recognize the protein molecules, the body can not have an allergic reaction. So, it may be helpful to try the z/d diet. You have to get it from a vet.
If he is allergic to chicken, then there is a good chance he is allergic to duck. Or he soon will be.
Usually what you are describing, where it is on multiple sites on the body with no skin lesions or itching, is caused by what they are taking by mouth or eating.
So, stop the enzymes. If the odor does not clear up in a week then I would try putting him on hills z/d.
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carlene,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jake. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby