Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

We where on a trip and our daughter took our two German Shepard

We where on a trip and our daughter took our two German Shepard out for a 6 mile hike in the hills one of our dogs collapsed from what appears to be heat exposed and died last night when we got home today out other Shepard is limping and panting he seems very tired but is coherent and very alert just looks like he had too much exercise I am going to take him to the vet tomorrow to be completely checked out but was wondering if it would be safe to give him a little gator aid tonight in case he needs a little extra rehydration and electrolytes what do u think

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Hello again Carl and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog, this must have been very upsetting for you.

1. Well the unfortunate death could have been due to heat stroke if it was exceptionally hot, this is a very insidious condition. However you would also consider such things as undiscovered heart disease which is much more common.

2. It is good that your second dog is coherent and alert, under the circumstances it would be an excellent idea to give him some fluids such as Gator Aid or even just plain water. Do this on the hour and give quite a bit { say 60 ml per session } using a syringe or similar device and also encourage him to drink normally and keep him as cool as possible.

3. As I say heat stroke is a very insidious condition and shock can set in without the owner being aware of it so if your dog appears to be deteriorating then get an ER vet involved without delay.

4. You can reference this web site for additional information on the topic. : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.