Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My beloved terrier mix was just diagnosed with cancer. During

My beloved terrier mix was just diagnosed with cancer. During a routine exam, an adenocarcinoma was discovered. After x-rays and an ultrasound, more tumors were found in his body. We can't be 100% sure if those are cancerous unless we biopsy them all (which we opted not to do). Due to the multiple tumors, the oncologist said that traditional treatment options (surgery, radiation, chemo) weren't necessarily viable.

My dog's blood work was "perfect" (in the words of two different vets), and he is not showing any symptoms of cancer or behavioral changes. He looks and acts like a normal, older dog.

I would like to do something to help him, so I'm trying to figure out different diet options. I've looked into the high-protein, low-grain diets that are suggested when a dog has cancer. My concern, however, is that my dog has a history of digestive issues. He once had pancreatitis, and he has been on Hill's i/d food ever since (a special food formula that is easily digestible). Unfortunately, the Hill's i/d dry food has quite a bit of grain, and I keep reading that grains "feed the cancer, not the dog."

What can I feed him that he will be able to digest easily and that will help stave off the cancer? I want to maintain high-quality of life, so that's my goal. I don't want to change his diet at this point and make him sick (when he doesn't seem it yet). But, I do want to help him live well for as long as possible.

Please help! I'd appreciate any recommendations. I adore this little guy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for him and the diagnosis.

In general, the diet effect on cancer is more of a theory, and not very effective at manipulating a course of progression of the cancer.

There is another science diet food called N/D that is exactly what you are looking for. Specifically designed with reduced carbs.

Here's an example of it:
Science Diet N/D

Not carried by many vets, but a vet could special order for you quickly to at least try it.

With a written prescription you might be able to buy it from a Petsmart Store.

One other thought....consulting a nutritionist or specialist to help make a custom diet:
UC Davis Nutrition Dept

Ask Ariel Nutrition

Lastly,
This below link may be a good read as well:

Cancer Diet

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?