Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog got her distemper/parvo vaccine today and now her muzzle

My dog got her distemper/parvo vaccine today and now her muzzle and chin are swollen. What can I do to help her? Will Benadryl help?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Well, it certainly sounds a lot like a bad vaccine reaction.

Yes, you can give benadryl.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

But!
Is it enough?

Generally, with prominent swelling, I do strongly recommend an emergency vet visit. They can give a steroid shot that can quickly help to reduce reaction and swelling. That would be the best course of action in addition to also giving benadryl ASAP.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Andy. I think that we will take her to the emergency vet right away!