Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My seven pound chihuahua inadvertently took my other dogs

My seven pound chihuahua inadvertently took my other dog's amitriptyline 25mg dose about an hour ago. She is drowsy but otherwise seems to be okay. Should we do anything other than wait it out?
Thank you,
Dean
Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

I would not expect any life threatening effects to occur from this mishap. As you're already seeing, drowsiness is common, but I would not expect to see much more than that.

I would periodically check on Lola, to be sure she's conscious and able to stand and walk -- and if at any time she seems unable to do so, then I'd suggest veterinary attention right away.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your quick reply, I am guessing that this should wear off in 8 to 10 hours.

Thanks again

Dean

Most of the effects should be reduced by then; I suspect you'll see some residual sluggishness for up to 24 hours.
Hi Dean,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?

Drew