Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My 6 year old, male havanese (approx 8lbs) was just treated

My 6 year old, male havanese (approx 8lbs) was just treated for ticks/fleas at the vet. He was given both an internal and topical treatment, as we just relocated to southern CA, live by the beach and have been having major difficulty preventing fleas from inhabiting the house, dogs, us...
In any case, there's something wrong with him. He won't walk, and keeps crazily going for that oily spot on his back. He just ate, hardily.
I'm not sure whether he is acting strange because I boarded him at the vet (our home was being treated and I wanted to be sure, everything dried) or if it could be an adverse reaction.
What are the warning signs of an adverse reaction to these treatments?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

It's difficult to precisely describe the possible adverse reactions, without knowing exactly what products were used, but in general, it's not unusual to see dogs become a bit lethargic for 24 hours or so after application of flea/tick products, and many will be restless, or seeming to be "uncomfortable in their own skin", constantly pacing and looking for relief.

If this behavior is problematic, a degreasing soap such as Dawn dish soap can be used to remove a good portion of the residue that may be causing the discomfort.

It is very rare for any serious effects to occur from one of these products, assuming high-quality veterinary products are used (rather than the grocery store types).

If there's no improvement within 24 hours, then I'd definitely recommend a veterinary examination. As long as Hootie is eating and drinking, even in small amounts, this is not likely to become a major problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Thos dog worries me. He is so finicky. And i also adore him to no end.
E was indeed treated with high wuality veterinary products by a vet or vet technician. Not frontline though. I cannot remember the beand names.
The woman who brought thrm out to me told me not to let them lick their own greasy spots or one anothers and that if its still greasy in two days, to use rubbing alcohol to dilute it.
A) what do u think of that advice / reccomendation
And
B) what are the associated risks of them ingesting the greasy residue?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
the recommendation to use alcohol is a little strange to me, as this seems like it would cause some dryness and irritation of its own.

A damp rag is usually all that's needed to remove residue, after the product has absorbed, but in patients who have obvious sensitivity, the degreasing soap may be better (and of course a different product should be used next time around).

There's not much risk of ingesting the residue, other than mild stomach upset or nausea, in most cases.
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lolly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hootie. How is everything going?

Drew