Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

my 5 month old blue heeler got some rat poison,what can I do.?

my 5 month old blue heeler got some rat poison,what can I do.? I know he didn't get much he found a box and brought it home I found the poison and it filled the box
Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Rat poison is highly toxic to dogs -- regardless of which type it is.

The safest recommendation I can provide, is to seek veterinary care right away, so that vomiting may be induced, followed by activated charcoal liquid to absorb any residual poison that did not get vomited up.

If veterinary care isn't available, then inducing vomiting at home may be the next best thing, using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, dosed at 1mL per pound of body weight. This usually causes vomiting within about 10 minutes. I'd still recommend follow-up with a veterinarian within 24 hours, to start vitamin K therapy to help counteract any poison which may have been absorbed into the bloodstream.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beau. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Beau is doing
that is great, thank you for the update!!