How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Drew Your Own Question
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16844
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Drew is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my 5 month old blue heeler got some rat poison,what can I do.?

This answer was rated:

my 5 month old blue heeler got some rat poison,what can I do.? I know he didn't get much he found a box and brought it home I found the poison and it filled the box
Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Rat poison is highly toxic to dogs -- regardless of which type it is.

The safest recommendation I can provide, is to seek veterinary care right away, so that vomiting may be induced, followed by activated charcoal liquid to absorb any residual poison that did not get vomited up.

If veterinary care isn't available, then inducing vomiting at home may be the next best thing, using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, dosed at 1mL per pound of body weight. This usually causes vomiting within about 10 minutes. I'd still recommend follow-up with a veterinarian within 24 hours, to start vitamin K therapy to help counteract any poison which may have been absorbed into the bloodstream.
Dr. Drew and 4 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beau. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Beau is doing
that is great, thank you for the update!!

Related Dog Veterinary Questions