Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My Yorkie/Schnauzer(5 lbs.) was panting heavily for a few minutes

Customer Question

My Yorkie/Schnauzer(5 lbs.) was panting heavily for a few minutes and then vomited a considerable amount (1/8 cup?) of white foam. She kept re-swallowing some of the vomit and now she is listless. I have seen her through up before but always makes a quick recovery. about a week ago she had diarrhea with some clear mucus with some red blood in it but she is pooping solid now and has no worms (I checked her feces). She is still just lying on the couch as if she is exhausted from the experience. It has been about 10 minutes now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

First a few questions: any recent changes in the diet: new dry food, any human foods, new treats, raw meats, etc? Any chance she could have eaten something she shouldn't have: toys, clothing, etc. Is your dog on monthly heartworm prevention?

Customer:

Heartwormed 3 days ago. Wormed a couple of days before that. No changes in diet. She has eaten plants in the past but never with this kind of reaction.

Customer:

And she hasn't thrown up any plant material.

Dr. G :

I see. has she been eating a lot of grass recently?

Customer:

She could have. I was with her but on the phone while we were out.

Customer:

She is suddenly up and wagging her tail.

Dr. G :

I see. When did she last vomit? when did she last eat?

Customer:

1o minutes ago.

Customer:

10 minutes ago but never as dramatically.

Dr. G :

I see. It sounds like your dog likely has an acute gastroenteritis, which is an upset stomach. There are many causes of this, mainly due to something she recently ate that just didn't go over well. However, due to the breed mixture, it could potentially be due to something more like mild pancreatitis (common in schnauzers) and liver disease such as a portosystemic shunt (very common in young yorkies).

Customer:

She is doing much better, Doc!

Dr. G :

I would start by treating it as an upset stomach today. Hold off on food for 24 hours. You can give a 1/4 of a 10 mg famotidine (pepcid AC) tablet to help settle the stomach. You can feed plain boiled chicken and white rice after holding off food and give it for about 24 hours. If there is no improvement or she continues to vomit today, she will need to see a vet for prescription anti-vomiting medication

Customer:

She really had me scared. If the symptoms come back I will take her to th vet ER which is close by.

Dr. G :

If she seems to be doing well, she should improve with the stopping of food and famotidine. However if you see things come back, I would get her checked out. Can I help you any further today?

Customer:

I will get some pepcid to have on hand. Thank you for the help! I needed to know the dose and medication type to give Her. You have helped greatly. God Bless!

Dr. G :

you're very welcome. I wish you two the best. Have a great day!

Customer:

We will, thanks.

Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Donald,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella Luna. How is everything going?

Dr. G
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I learned after Bella was feeling a lot better that She had gotten into my liquid nicotine for My E-Cig. She had chewed into the bottle and was suffering from nicotine poisoning. I new it was some sort of poisoning at the time because of the white foam She was vomiting. Thank You so much for Your help Doc! This will not happen again and I even posted it on Facebook so that all of My friends who also smoke these E-Cigs don't have the same problem.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome. I am glad you found the source of her problem. I will have to keep E-cigarette toxicity in mind for other clients that may use them. Have a great day!