Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

is terro ant killer harmful to dogs ?

is terro ant killer harmful to dogs ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has it been since he ate the anti killer?
2- How much did he eat?
3- If you have the package can you list the ingredient?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

in the last 24 hrs

liquid size of 50 cent piece

borax 5.4%

1- Britt, did he swallow the container as well or just the liquid?
2- Does it say how many ounces of liquid is in the container?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

I will have an answer to your question within 5-10 minutes after receiving the response to the above questions. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

just the liquid. container holds 2.2 fl oz but he did not get but a small amount poured on porch for ant control

he is sluggish and holds his head sideways, look disorriented

just seems not happy and tired

not at home so cant see his gums

is there any antidote ?

Britt, Borax has a very wide safety margin when ingested by dogs. The amount that you have reported is Not going to be toxic to your dog. In addition, the symptoms that you are describing would Not be consistent with Borax toxicity especially after 24 hours; this is related to something else. If he is carrying his head side ways he could have an ear infection, when you get home check to see if he has redness, discharge, bad odor inside the ear canal; these are symptoms of an ear infection. I would have him checked by family veterinarian to determine the exact underlying cause if he does not have evidence of an ear infection.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.