Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics

On May 22 my 4 year old, 19 lb molti-poo mix, suddendy yelped

On May 22 my 4 year old, 19 lb molti-poo mix, suddendy yelped and was in pain.. evetytime he jumped down from the couch, bed or we picked him up the would yelp or winne. I took him to the vet and he checked his body out and the only thing that was tender was his hindquarters. I took him home to observe him. He was still in pain in the morning. Another vet didn't even touch him and said it was probably his back. They took x-rays of his hips & full spine. They diagnosed him with calcium on his spine and set us home with meds. He has been getting a little better each day but today I noticed a large bruise on his left abdomen. He will not walk for every long, he will stop and lick his bottom. He licks himself a lot more than normal. He will not lift his leg to go the bathroom and has only gone poop 2 times since Wed thou he has little appetite. He's sleeping alot and will just stay in his bed when he is awake. With the vet being closed today and tomorrow I don't know if he should be looked at again before Tuesday. Could this be serious or am I over reacting?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Friend. I'll help you make a plan for Max today. Do the medications seem to give him any relief?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the medi's are working some, but I'm concerned about the bruise on his abdmen, him licking himself, not lifting his leg to go the bathroom, when I walk him he will stop, sit down and lick himself and lay down and I have to carry him home only walking in front of the house.

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
I absolutely agree with you. The licking and general discomfort are suggestive of anal gland disease. This is easily checked and easily treated if we diagnose anal gland problems.

The bruise is a different story. It could be from trauma, or it could be an indication of a clotting problem.

I recommend having him assessed again. I would start with a physical, check his anal glands, and look carefully for signs of bleeding elsewhere. If we find additional evidence of a clotting problem, we should run a clotting panel as well.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Friend..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can this wait until Tuesday or should I take him in ASAP to be reassessed?

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
He should be taken as soon as possible. If his anal glads are abscessed, the can rupture if not treated. Also, if there is a true clotting problem, he is at risk for uncontrollable hemorrhage.
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics