brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

I have a 5y/o female lab that I rescued in March. She is usually

I have a 5y/o female lab that I rescued in March. She is usually very outgoing and social, but, there's been a couple of days (like today) that she is scared of everything. She loves to sit by the back door screen and look outside and today she won't even get close to it. Is there anything I can give her to calm her nerves? Home remedy?

Hi, I'm Dr. Friend and I'll help you with poor little Brandy today! I wonder what happened to scare her so badly? We'll probably never get to answer that question, but hopefully we can desensitize her to those fears.

How often does she become affected like this? Is it all day, or just a certain time of day? Once she starts this behavior, how many days in a row do you see it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It usually lasts a few hours and she goes to sleep and then she is fine. Today it started when we went out the front door to go for a walk, she stopped abruptly and stood there sniffing in the air and I had to force her to go on the walk and when we went over to the potty place she just kept walking around whinning and sniffing in the air

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if there is another animal in the area whose smell worries her. That could be another domestic pet in the area, or a wild critter that wanders through early in the morning.

You can certainly try Benadryl or melatonin at home. You can also use Lavender oil or DAP (dog appeasing pheromone) as aromatherapy. Tell me her weight, and I can give you appropriate doses of Benadryl and melatonin to try.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
68 lbs

OK, for her size, you can give 50 mg diphenhydramine (2 adult Benadryl tablets). You can use the generic, just make sure any product you use says "diphenhydramine" as the active ingredient, with no others listed.

Alternatively, you can give 3 mg of melatonin.

DAP can be purchased as a spray, or a collar infused with the pheromone.

Lavender can be used when necessary by taking a sparing amount (just a couple drops will do) on your fingertips, and wiping across each front paw and tips of the ears.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Friend..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Hi Robbie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brandy. How is everything going?

Dr. Susan Friend