brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

I have allergies and am considering getting a hypoallergenic

I have allergies and am considering getting a hypoallergenic dog. Is the airedale terrior hypoallergenic? Which is more hypoallergenic, the airedale or portuguese water dog? Also, which breed is better for an apartment? Which breed is better with kids?

Hi I'm Dr. Friend. I'll help you with an answer today.

First, you should know that there is no true "hypo allergenic dog". Depending on your sensitivity, it is possible that any dog and every dog will cause you to react. I can make some recommendations to decrease this as much as possible though.

Between the Airedale and Portuguese Water Dog, I would strongly recommend the PWD. They are actually very popular where I work, and every one of them is very sweet (so far!). There are always exceptions to the rule, but PWDs tend to be very personable and Airedales tend to be high strung and snappy.

With these personality traits in mind, the PWD is much better with children. As far as an apartment dog, however, both are large and energetic. Unless you will be able to get the dog outside for long walks/play at the dog park/etc on a daily basis, you may be better off choosing a small breed dog.

Some small breed dogs such as the Bichon Frise or Poodle could be a better choice if regular exercise will be impossible.

Aside from breed choice, regular bathing will be important to reduce circulating antigens as much as possible. You can also consult your physician regarding which antihistamines might be a good choice for yourself.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Friend..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Do you have any experience with Allerpet-D (to reduce allergies)? Also, do you have any thoughts of boy v. girl in an apartment?

Thank you,
Melissa
I actually do know of Allerpet, and it does not seem to be an improvement over regular bathing with another shampoo. Also, neither male nor female would be a clear preference for apartment living. Neither one is necessarily more calm or well-behaved.

Hi Melissa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Susan Friend