Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I have a one year old tall tree coon hound. 2 days ago felt

I have a one year old tall tree coon hound. 2 days ago felt a lump about the size of small plum, never felt it before, Monday it is the size of baseball. It's very hard with definite edges. Dosen't appear to bother him. but it continues to increase in size. What do you think about the rapid growth.

Hello, I am very sorry to hear about Bentley.

I understand your concern especially given how quickly this growth is increasing in size.

I do need a little more information from you.

1. Where is the lump located?
  2. I understand that the edges are firm but is the center at all softer in consistency?
  3. Can you get your fingers around the lump easily? Or is it firmly attached to underlying tissue?
  4. Is he running a fever at all (more than 103F rectally)?
  5. Does he have other dogs or cats that he plays with on a regular basis or does he run in heavy brush?
  6. Does he seem uncomfortable when the lump is palpated?
  7. Is he bright an alert or is he lethargic?
  8. How is his appetite?

Thanks for your patience with all my questions. Give me several minutes to read your responses and get back to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is located under his neck on the right side of his chest wall. No soft areas, hard, intact, attached to underlying tissue, no fever, he does have other companions plays activily, eats well, but doesn't gain weight.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX want to clarify exactly where it is.

Is the lump where the label says mandibular lymph node, prescapular or axillary?

I'm not sure if you received my last question or not.

The first thing I think of when I hear of a lump that is growing that quickly is an infection.

That can be from a bite or scratch wound or a foreign body puncture wound (stick, grass awn etc). Because he has buddies he plays with that makes infection even higher on my list. If you have a localized, walled off infection then the pup may not be febrile and may behave fairly normally and they can feel pretty firm as they are under pressure.

If the lump is in the area of a lymph node then we can see lymph node enlargement secondary to infections, both systemic and local, or trauma. If he were a bit older and multiple lymph nodes were increased in size then Lymphoma, a type of cancer would be possible.

If the swelling is in the area of the mandibular lymph node another thought would be a salivary gland infection or blocked duct. Usually a blocked duct will produce a swelling that feels a little softer then you are describing but a salivary gland infection or inflammation can feel quite firm.

Since he seems pretty much himself I'm not really concerned yet.

I do recommend looking in his mouth to look for any signs of broken teeth, a stuck foreign body or gum infection.

I would also look at the lump itself to see if you can see any evidence of a small puncture wound. You can warm compress the lump for 10 minutes at a time several times a day, as if it is an abscess getting it to break open and drain would be ideal.

Your veterinarian will likely want to aspirate the swelling, and look at the collected debris to see what is causing it. If it does look infected then lancing it and putting him on antibiotics will be recommended. Given that he may need to be sedated do not feed him after midnight today so he has an empty stomach for his appointment tomorrow.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have checked for puncture sites and have found none. Pre scapular area. around the lymph node area.

Thanks very much. Sometimes the initial wound will heal over fine and the infection will continue to grow deeper in the tissues, or it will invade the local lymph node and you'll have an inflammatory reaction because the lymph node is doing its job by straining out the infection.

Another possibility in this location is that this is a hematoma or deep bruise from trauma when he was playing or running. Hitting the shoulder is common. These usually resolve with time and warm compresses.

Your veterinarian should be able to give you a fairly accurate tentative diagnosis by aspirating the swelling and base therapy upon that.

In the meantime it will not hurt to warm compress the area several times a day to see if the swelling either ruptures or decreases in size.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?

Dr Kara
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bentley had an appt. Needle aspriation showed that it was a large hematoma. Since the aspiration it has decreased in sizem he appears to be getting better! Thank you for following up.

Thanks for taking the time to give me an update on Bentley. I am pleased to hear it was a hematoma upon aspiration, that is great news. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding your fellow, it was a pleasure working with you, thanks again,

Dr. Kara.