Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

my dog killed a ground hog and it scratched her on the face

my dog killed a ground hog and it scratched her on the face below eye-I got her from a shelter and she was due for shots-then this happened. Is she at risk of rabies? I have cleaned the wound very well and she was acting fine, today she is vomiting a lot!
Hello there,

When was the last rabies vaccine given?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the shelter did not know. the attack was on tuesday

If the date of the rabies vaccine is not known, that is not a good situation. The dog will certainly need a rabies booster if there was a scratch or bite. Whether or not the dog should be put under a rabies quarantine will depend on your vet's exam and the procedure of your local health department. Procedures vary from state to state and county to county.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you

You are very welcome. If the scratch is not deep, the risk of rabies is low but your vet will likely put the dog on antibiotics as well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?