Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

My dog ate 80 grams of milk chocolate. He weights 3.1 kg. No

Customer Question

My dog ate 80 grams of milk chocolate. He weights 3.1 kg. No vomit and no symptoms at all. He ate it approximately 8 hours ago. Should i be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the question.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and try and advise you.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think your particular problem through and prepare an answer and type things up. I will then get back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much

Hello, thank you for waiting and thank you for using our Dog Veterinary section.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX as you know I am an experienced small animal vet, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. So lets make a start !

1. Your dog is really in no danger in relation to the chocolate, because basically if symptoms do not set in after eight hours then you are in the clear. Symptoms normally set in around two hours after ingestion.

2. Also there are some simple calculations you can carry out to assess the risk from chocolate toxicity. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity.

The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed.

If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 6.6 lb { 3.1 kg } then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 4.6 ozs { more 1/4 pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

The amount your dog ate was 2.8 ounces { 80g } so no worries.

I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.

Oh I forgot to say you can research chocolate toxicity in the dog via this article HERE

Your dog should be fine though ! :-)

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Alex,

Thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. If I can ever advise you again at any point in the future then please do not hesitate to get back in touch

Kindest regards and good luck with Rock ...,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for everything :) really appreciate it .

Kind regards

No problem, very glad to have advised you,

Regards,

Scott.
Hello again Alex,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Rock is getting on after the chocolate incident.

How are things going, I bet he was fine ?

Regards,

Scott