Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Type your Dog Veterinary question Hereford for the last 2 weeks

Customer Question

Type your Dog Veterinary question Hereford for the last 2 weeks when we wake up there is a big spot of blood on my bed. My dog is licking it, we can not find where the blood is coming from. She's eating and dring going to bathroom. She is 16 years old. And acting fine. I checked her mouth and can not find any bleeding. Also we do not see any blood through the day.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Has Gracie been spayed?

Any blood in the urine?

Is there fluid along with the blood on the bed?

Thank you!

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been spayed. No blood in urine, no fluid.
Thanks Becky for that information....

If you do not see any blood from her vulva or urinary tract, then this blood is coming from some mass that you have not yet found. They can have benign tumors that are under her fur that ulcerate and bleed. You will have to feel her all over for any small lesion that would bleed during the night due to the irritation from laying on it.

Clippers may help find this for you.

There also may be bleeding during the night from her anus where she may have an ulcerated mass internally and she has cleaned this up before you can see it.

This does not appear to be serious for Gracie,Becky but it would be good to find the cause so it can be treated appropriately. if you still cannot find the area, have your vet examine Gracie and then you will know for sure.

Does that make sense to you, Becky?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My other dog has been licking her on the anus lately. We have to chase her away.. Don't see anything unusal
There is a good chance, Becky, that she has a polyp that is internal that is causing this and the other dogs smell this. Your vet will have to run certain diagnostics to determine this but since it has been going on for so long, it will have to be dealt with before it gets any larger.

Good Luck, Becky!