Dr. Rosol
Dr. Rosol, Veterinarian
Experience:  Skilled veterinarian working in a general practice. 

Customer Question

I have a nine year old, very active 70lb boxer/pit mix with torn acl. I like the idea of the tightrope because it's less invasive. But, from my research I seem to be hearing that the TPLO may actually help with the progression of arthritis. I've been told by my vet that his stifle joint angle (?) is 30 degrees. Can anyone recommend which proceedure may be preferable, and why?
Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Rosol replied 3 years ago.

Rosol : Hi there! I'd be happy to help you out with boot today
Rosol : Since he weighs 70 pounds, I HIGHLY recommend the TPLO surgery.
Rosol : It is far superior and the success rate is greater.
Rosol : The price is more but worth it
Rosol : There is less reoccurrence with this procedure as well
Rosol : I cannot emphasize enough the post operative care....
Rosol : Strict rest! I know it's difficult, especially with a wiggly excited pup, but try to keep him quiet. Pain meds are necessary after sirgery
Rosol : surgery sorry!
Rosol : Have you noticed a change with the 6 week rest? If not, then it's time for surgery or give it another 2 weeks with rest and medication
Rosol : please let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them
JACUSTOMER-ymuz66qs- :

Hi. Thanks for your response, but I'm still wondering about the suggestion that the TPLO might actually help lessen arthritis progression. Any word on that aspect?

JACUSTOMER-ymuz66qs- :

In my original question I specifically ask about the indication of TPLO and lessening progression of arthritis, which you did not address at all. I was writing my response, which re-asked this question at the same time (within the exact same minute) that you write "let me know if you have any questions", and then sign out. So, unfortunately, I'm not very satisfied with the answer I received

Expert:  Dr. Rosol replied 3 years ago.
Hi sorry! Got your response after I exited.

YES! There is less arthritis formation with a TPLO. There are credible research studies showing evidence of this.

I prefer this surgery over all others. Better results, less failure, better ambulation and less arthritis. However, some cannot afford the surgery but I encourage the surgery if it can be done
Expert:  Dr. Rosol replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I answered your question after I exited chat. I'm sorry I ended the chat but I did not see you online. You can communicate with me this way as well.

As I stated earlier, the incidence of arthritis is lessened by the TPLO surgery. If this is your goal then I recommend this surgery over others.

I'm sorry if you are not satisfied but sometimes the 'chat mode' can be problematic. We vets are here for you! Please let me know if you have any concerns