Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

can I use Antipyrine benzocaine in my dogs ear. It is xmas

Customer Question

can I use Antipyrine benzocaine in my dogs ear. It is xmas eve and he is behaving like he has an ear infection
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Do you have ear cleaning solution at home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I do not

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sara, it sounds like he has an ear infection. Do not use Antipyrine benzocaine in the ear. Instead, this is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian:

1- Mix in a cup half alcohol and half white vinegar; use this mixture with cotton to clean the ear (s) out of all discharge. If the ear is very irritated, clean with plain water, once the irritation improves use the mixture above.
2- After cleaning the ear as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. You can find this over the counter in any pharmacy.
3- Do the above twice a day for 10-14 days. Always clean the ear as above before applying the topical antibiotic.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter