CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog has a hard wax build-up in his ear. Is there anyway

Customer Question

My dog has a hard wax build-up in his ear. Is there anyway to clean it out?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

1) When did you first notice this?

2) Is he scratching the ear?

3) Is there redness of the ear?

4) Is only 1 ear affected?

5) Has the vet tested the ear for an infection?

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he had an infection and I took him to the vet and they removed the hard wax and gave me meds for the infection this was about 4 months ago. Then about a month after that the wax was back my vet gave me extra meds incase he gets the infection back I have been trying to give him it but the wax is in the way and yes he is scratching at it. Yes it is only the one ear it is infected all the time..I treat it then the next month same ear is infected. I don't have the money to take him back to the vet to get the wax removed and I was wondering is there a way I could clean it out myself cause I do have meds for the infection.

Thank you for your reply.

How hard is / was the wax, can it be flushed?

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is rock hard..I got most of it out but it is mostly madded hair with wax in it now..

Ok - great!

Do you have any ear cleaners at home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope what is the best kind to buy?

Here are 3 ear cleaners to consider.
- Zymox (EXAMPLE)
- Epi-Otic (EXAMPLE)
- Vet Solutions (EXAMPLE).

I like Epiotic the best!

When applying ear cleaners, they are applied directly into the ear canal, and to prevent injury or pain to the ear or ear drum, a cotton ball is then used to clean out the ear.

Here is an example of the ear to see the normal structures:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Please Reply any time if more information is needed! I would be happy to clarify any of the information or ADD information.

If for any reason this interaction was not excellent - PLEASE reply and let me know. Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE