CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog has a pinched nerve in his back, He is in so much pain

My dog has a pinched nerve in his back, He is in so much pain he cant sit or laydown or even walk up or down stairs. I have an app made but is there anything i can do or give him for pain relief?

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

CriticalCareVet :

For these situations, Tramadol alone is not often enough.

CriticalCareVet :

What is commonly used?

Customer:

What is better to use ?

CriticalCareVet :

Regarding pain management in dogs, options to consider include:

1) NSAIDS (like ibuprofen - BUT SAFE FOR DOGS!)

- Rimadyl (LINK HERE)

- Deramaxx (LINK HERE)

- Meloxicam (LINK HERE)

2) Steroids such as Prednisone (LINK HERE)

IT IS EITHER STEROIDS OR NSAIDS - NOT BOTH!

3) Methocarbamol is a muscle relaxer (LINK HERE) and also commonly considered.

Customer:

What can I do to make him feel more comfortable untill his app?

CriticalCareVet :

If you plan on seeing your veterinarian for safe and effective pain medication for your dog, using aspirin or other over the counter human pain medications (aspirin, tylenol, ibuprofen) can actually be quite dangerous.

Based on the pain and injury you report, your veterinarian may wish to use a NSAID such as Rimadyl or Deramaxx or even a steroid such as Prednisone to reduce the pain and inflammation.

If you give aspirin now for example, your vet will need to wait up to 7-10 days before they can prescribe what they want.

While quality of life and pain is something we all wish to address, this must be done safely. If this means not giving something tonight, to be able to receive the better option when seeing your vet, for short and long term health, using safe medication that is known to work is the better option and why giving something now at home, from the medicine cabinet, may not be the best choice.

Customer:

Other then medication that will just act as a bandaid, will his pinched nerve heal ? Is there any surgery that can correct this

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - this will heal.

CriticalCareVet :

If there is a bad herniated disc, that doesnt respond to medication - then surgery will be needed.

Customer:

Yes so far his vet thinks it is just a pinched nerve. Are there any test that the vet can do to insure me its a pinched nerve and not anything else. Should I get a second opinion ?

CriticalCareVet :

A MRI would be needed.

CriticalCareVet :

That is the only true way to know.

Customer:

Would a short walk make him feel better? what is the best position for him to lay? he cant seem to get comfortable.

CriticalCareVet :

No - strict rest should have been discussed by your vet,.

Customer:

Out of all the medicines you listed what would you prescribe him? And with that medication how long till the nerve is healed. Can it happen again?

CriticalCareVet :

Most consider a steroid, prednisone and Robaxin along with tramadol.

CriticalCareVet :

It can take a few weeks, and yes, it can happen again - no way to predict.

Customer:

Is there anyway I can make sure it dosnt happen again. Hes an older dog he dosnt jump or play much anymore so he didnt stain himself in anyway.

CriticalCareVet :

Unfortunately not - just like people, without warning it can happen from even turning the wrong way.

Customer:

Of course. With the Tramadol can that make a dog nauseas? I cant tell if its just the pain that makes him put his head in my hand to steady himself

CriticalCareVet :

No - it typically does not.

Customer:

Ok. Another question , Since hes is an older dog he is also dealing with arthritis what can I give him for that that can also be used with the steroids

CriticalCareVet :

The medications above would be used for the same, Steroids or NSAIDS.

CriticalCareVet :

Glucosamine and Acupuncture are adjunct options.

Customer:

Ok, also would he benfit from going to see a dog chiroprator.

CriticalCareVet :

Acupuncture is more common.

Customer:

And that would decrease his chances of getting a pinched nerve again ?

CriticalCareVet :

Yes

Customer:

Thank you so much for your time!

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome

CriticalCareVet :

Please Reply any time if more information is needed! I would be happy to clarify any of the information or ADD information.

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Hi Sara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chopper. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet