Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

my dogs back legs go limp cant stand on his own and his body

Customer Question

my dogs back legs go limp cant stand on his own and his body gets stiff and I feel shaking inside his body when I pick him up and start masagge in his back legs, he lays down almost the whole day,likes to be by himself. we've had him appx 6+yrs

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is Dr. Gabby. I will try to help.

I suspect he has a injury to the discs in his spinal cord. The discs are spongy material that act as shock absorbers between the bony vetebrae. Sometimes when a dog jumps down off a couch, or just do to wear and tear with age, the discs can bulge out or completely herniate out. Then the discs put abnormal pressure on the spinal cord and the surrounding nerves. That is why he can not feel his legs.

It is a very common problem in daschunds and long backed dogs.

Treatment is anti-inflammatories, with steriods like prednisone, and strict rest. Severe cases need surgery to resolve the bulging, or herniated, discs.

Try to get him to a vet this morning. The sooner you can get him treated the more likely his will return to normal function. Most regular vets are open are saturday mornings.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please click "reply."

Thanks