Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

What can I give my dog for a stomach ache

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the question.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be pleased to try and answer your question, but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you answer the following questions concisely.

1. How long has your dog had this problem?

2. What symptoms are you seeing?

This is just an information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present and will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

Please note it may take up to twenty minutes for me to consider your problem, perhaps look up some information and then type up your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he only started this this afternoon, and he is eating grass like a cow and he is throwing it up with some chicken my husband gave him last night. It was taken off the bone and my other dog is not throwing up at all

Thanks for the quick reply,

While I cannot diagnose JD's problem via the internet I can make the following general comments based on my past experience of such cases over the years :

This sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check JD over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting and stomach upset in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise quite bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug acquired from somewhere. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should see your vet without delay just to be on the safe side. Limiting access to grass in the meantime would also be a good measure ...

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

I have over twenty five years full time experience in treating domestic pets and am pleased to do my best to advise you with your current problem. However please note that this advice and any subsequent advice I may give is for your interest and education only and is not intended as a substitute for an in-person consultation with a qualified veterinarian.
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again,

Thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. If I can ever advise you again at any point in the future then please do not hesitate to get back in touch with me personally via the following url. { Please bookmark it }

http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-vetanswers/

Good luck with JD,

Kindest regards,

Scott
Hi Lolie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jd. How is everything going?

Vet Answers Vet