Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal medicine since 2004, also involved in working with rescue groups.
23926829

our 14 year old dog has suffered 2 seizures in the past 2 hours.

our 14 year old dog has suffered 2 seizures in the past 2 hours. Her only other one was a couple of weeks ago. She walks around in familiar patterns afterwards. Immediately afterwards, she struggles to get her footing, etc.
She wants to eat and drink afterwards and I let her have some food and water and took the dish off of the floor as she was stepping in it, etc.
Is this normal behavior and what should we expect next?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Jenn : Hi there-Has any blood work been done?
Customer:

None, my husband and I decided not to take her to the vet the first time due to her age. We didn't want to put her through a lot of stuff. She had a bump on her head that the vet had looked at a few weeks before when she was in for an ear infection. It got larger after the 1st seizure a few weeks ago.

She hit her head tonight aboubt 3 hours before the 1st seizure at 1am.

We will take her to the vet this time if we need to.

Dr. Jenn :

She really should be seen and have bloodwork done-even though she is older we may fing a treatable condition- if the blod work comes back normal then the cause for the seizure is in her head like epilepsy or even a brain tumor, not to scare you! THere are medications she can go on to prevent futher seizures as they can be life threatening. I would take her in as soon as you can.

Dr. Jenn :

good luck

Dr. Jenn :

A Positive RATING with an EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS is appreciated as this is how I know you have received the information and that I receive credit for my time.

Please reply using the CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION button if more information is needed at any time.

Please ONLY rate my answer when you are completely satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and REPLY to me using the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with further concerns. I will then be able to continue further and provide you with the information you need.

Customer:

When they found the ear infections, we had taken her for her six mo senior check up. I think they did bloodwork then, not positive. At her follow up a week later, they said the bump was better and Sally is healthy for a dog her age.

It is 4am here. Bet,Vet opens 7:30 (I think), we have someone from the main office comingI have a 40

Customer:

did what I just type come through?

Dr. Jenn :

Good- so just a few more hours until you get her in.

Dr. Jenn :

Just double check on the blood work.

Customer:

Pretty sure they did blood work at her 6 month sr. wellness exam (at which they found the ear infection). She may have to wait up to 7 hrs to be taken in--is that too long or should we take a day off of work? .

Dr. Jenn :

Honestly- the sooner she is seen the better-as we do not want to wait for another seizure., or her have one while you are at work.

Customer:

She just jumped back on the couch--so good sign. BTW--taking time off work isn't an issue here.

Dr. Jenn :

good!! Good luck!

Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal medicine since 2004, also involved in working with rescue groups.