Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

MY 13 YEAR OLD WESTIE HAS A SWOLLEN VAGINA AND IS SCOOTING

Customer Question

MY 13 YEAR OLD WESTIE HAS A SWOLLEN VAGINA AND IS SCOOTING ALONG THE GROUND, IT APPEARS TO BE HANGING DOWN AND IS BLACK IN COLOUR.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 4 years ago.

I hope I can help with your question and do message me if you have any queries regarding my answer/advice.

I am sorry Maggie is uncomfortable.

As I am sure you are aware Westies commonly have problems with their skin. When it is itchy and rubbed a lot it can change colour to become much darker.

I suspect that she is either itchy in her groin area because of skin irritation (infection or allergy) and the constant rubbing is causing her skin to swell and so make her vulva appear more pendulous.

It may also be that she is irritated by her anal glands and the itch associated with this is traumatising her vulva area.

So firstly, her anal glands and/or skin need to be checked over in case the glands need emptying or she has skin infection that will require antibiotics and/or medicated shampoo.

In the meantime you could try using some human antihistamines, cetirizine hydrochloride is a good one and she will need 1/2 a 10mg tablet once daily, do this for at least 7 days. You can get these from the supermarket of the medicine shelf often there is a supermarket own brand one, just make sure it is cetirizine.

Cool bathing the area with water and applying pure aloe vera gel may provide temporary soothing, but I would recommend a vet check.

I hope this answer gives you some direction, do let me know if you have any queries.

Good luck

Dan Makin