my dog has the symptoms of bloat after eating lots of (non dog toxic) leftovers Tom the garbage. There was no floss, or string in the garbage. None of the food had onon or chocolate. He was bloated and panting. And he started having trouble with breathing. I took him out and pooped twice. Now he is not panting and sleeping and gums are pink. Is this an emergent care issue. WT
Type of Dog: Miniature pinscherDog's Gender: MaleName of Dog: LuckWhat have you tried so far?: No care
Hello. This does not sound like bloat. Bloat is when the stomach twists and there is un-productive retching/ dry heaving. This is seen commonly in older large breed dogs. What you are describing is called "food bloat." This is when they over-eat and the stomach gets distended but it does not twist. Typically I treat by holding off on food for 24 hours. I will give them small amounts of water every 2-4 hours for the 24 hours. After that fasting period, I'll give 1/2 of a normal meal. 36 hours from now, I'll start feeding normally. They are usually pretty uncomfortable for 8-12 hours, and then the signs start resolving after that point. You can take care of this at home. It does not require emergency care. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Hi Wt,I'm just following up on our conversation about Luck. How is everything going?Dr. Gary