Sophie-Vet
Sophie-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary surgeon in companion animal practice.

Why does my Yorkie scratch so much?

Customer Question

Why does my Yorkie scratch so much?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sophie-Vet replied 1 year ago.

Sophie-Vet :

Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a registered veterinarian and I would like to try to help you.

Sophie-Vet :

Sorry to hear about the problems you have been having. How often is Weezy scratching, is it at any one point through the year, or all year round?

Sophie-Vet :

Have you been using a regular flea preventative?

Customer:

year around but worse in the summer. She does not have fleas.

Customer:

Yes we use a flea preventative

Customer:

She has bare spots with no hair she scratches so badly

Sophie-Vet :

Has your tested for other parasites, and looked at the skin to see if there are bacteria or yeasts present?

Customer:

yes, none

Sophie-Vet :

Ok, what did you change the diet to?

Sophie-Vet :

In order to determine if you have a food allergy or intolerance you need to feed a special hydrolused diet, like hills z/d or purina HA for 10 weeks exclusively, with no other food at all even treats and chews.

Sophie-Vet :

Hydrolysed diets have protiens that are too small to trigger the immune system.

Customer:

We have tried fish and lamb as suggested by our vet and no bread type treats. She loves chicken hot dogs and chicken we eat

Sophie-Vet :

Ok so fish and lamb are not suitable for a food trial unless prior to the tiral your dog had never eaten fish or lamb, which I imagine is unlikely. I would recommend a food trial for a full 10 weeks, absolutlely no other food must be eaten in this time, if this has no improvement then I usually opt to do a blood test to look for types of allergy next.

Sophie-Vet :

The food trial has to be done with a hydrolysed diet, or a very foriegn protien source such as ostritch meat.

Sophie-Vet :

After this a blood test can be done to look for antibodies to common household things like dust, housemites, pollens etc.

Customer:

What is a hydrolused food? I guess my question what is the base food? chicken? vegetable?

Customer:

I feel so bad for this dog. I know it is driving her crazy.

Sophie-Vet :

Soya usually or another more usual protien like beef which has been made so small that it can not be detected by the immune system, hence if there was an allergic response to it, it would stop once the body stops detecting it.

Sophie-Vet :

Skin problems can be very frustrating, but with the right tests and medication you'll find a solution.

Customer:

What is your b

Customer:

What is your suggestion for a b

Sophie-Vet :

There are lots of 'quick fixes' to get her to stop scratching, but in the long term you need to do tests to find out what is wrong to address it properly.

Customer:

What brand of food do you suggest? What is your quick fix?

I am going to have her tested for allergies

Sophie-Vet :

I usually use Hills z/d or Purina HA. Both are available online. My quick fix would be a shot of steroids, it will certainly stop the scratching short term, but it will come back as soon as the shot wears off. You can not do an allergy test whilst on steroid medication as it works by supressing the immune response that is triggering the reaction.

Customer:

So I gu

Customer:

So I guess the best

Customer:

So I guess the be

Customer:

I guess the best thing to do is start with the diet and do the allergy test after 10 weeks?

Sophie-Vet :

Yes, thats exactly what I would recommend my patients. After the allergy test your vet may be able to make a vaccination to desensitise Weezy from whatever is causing the allergic response. Otherwise there are medications that can reduce the allergy repsonse like a drug called cyclosporin (atopica).

Customer:

She has recently lost her mate (a cocker) a couple of months ago. She had been with her all five years.

Sophie-Vet :

Oh, that is a real shame. Poor girl.

Sophie-Vet :

I hope that the food trial helps. You have to be really strict about it, no treats unfortunatley as this can ruin the trial.

Sophie-Vet :

If you need any more help or information just reply to me here at any time. Let me know how you get on?

Sophie-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinary surgeon in companion animal practice.
Expert:  Sophie-Vet replied 1 year ago.

All the best, Sophie